This week we’ve been looking at wikis.
Below are some activities to get you using and exploring this technology. Have a go, but if you get stuck remember you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll do our best to help!
Activity #1 – RSVP please!
Check your inbox (we will be sending the invites to your Hotmail accounts) – you should have received an invitation from WetPaint to join the Learning 2.0 wiki.
Please accept the invite and head on over to the wiki and register with WetPaint so you can start Activity#2.
Can’t find your invite?
First try checking your Junk mail folder in Hotmail – it may be in there.
Second – email the Learning 2.0 team and we’ll invite you again!
Activity#2 – get wiki-ing!
Go to the Learning 2.0 wiki at http://wikilearning20.wetpaint.com/
You may need to sign in with the WetPaint username and password you created in Activity#1. To do this click on the ‘Member sign in’ button in the middle of the screen.
Once you’ve signed in you’re ready to create your first page!
- Find the wiki pages navigation menu on the left of the screen
- Click on ‘Add page’
- Give your page a name. We suggest you use your name in here so other participants can find your page easily. So call it ‘Frank’s page’ for example.
- Click the ‘add page’ button and your page has been created!
Now you need to add some content.
- Click on the ‘EasyEdit’ button at the top of the screen. This will make your page ‘live’ and you’ll be able to enter text. You can write about anything you like.
- Use the ‘East Edit toolbar’ to format your text, try using bold, adding bullet points etc.
- When you’ve finished click on the ‘Save’ button in the ‘Easy Edit toolbar’.
Take a look at my page – it took less than 5 minutes to create. Yours will be much better!
Activity#3 – collaborate
Ask one of your fellow Learning 2.0 participants to be your wiki ‘buddy’. Why not try sending them an IM to do this? Or you could just go over to their desk and ask them…up to you.
Find out what their pages are called and start editing and adding to them.
And if you’ve got time…
Activity#4 – explore
Try some of the other features of WetPaint wikis.
Create some new pages using different templates.
Use the Discussion forum to start a conversation with fellow participants
Use the ‘widget’ button in the Easy Edit toolbar to add video and other media to your page.